Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The Support of Camp

When you are diagnosed with cancer there are a variety of things that happen to you, most are out of your control.  You have to follow the instructions of the doctors and nurses.  You have to because your life depends on it.  The situation you are in can be scary.  Scary to you, and those around you.

In terms of support in my cancer journey, I feel that there was a good rally of support when I was first diagnosed in Jr. High.  I don't feel like any friends were afraid to be around me.  It was a difficult time me because I was attempting to fit in with new people, but wasn't given that chance.  A positive thing was the amount of time I was in treatment was shorter, as I had a couple of months of radiation and was able try and return back to life as usual.

High School was a different story.  I felt abandoned by people who I thought were my friends except by a faithful few.  Some of this may have been my own doing, something I created in my own surroundings.  Because I had a shy personality to begin with, I wasn't outgoing with my cancer diagnosis.  But I am also not the only cancer survivor who has experienced this.  Friends and family tend to rally with support during the beginning, but that begins to wean and their lives go on while yours is in a stand still.  Their lives go on, while you are waiting for yours to begin again. I didn't have any peer support groups to attend with my peers because because they were during the day when I was attending school.  A neighbor was in charge of an adult cancer support group at a local hospital, but I didn't relate to their experiences although it was comforting being around other cancer survivors.

There was an organization I learned about that held a week long oncology summer camp- The Heart Connection.  A week to get out and be with other kids like me.  At the age of 17 years old, I signed up for camp.  I was a bit apprehensive because this would be the first time I would attend a full week camp without other people I knew.  But this would turn out to be one of the best decisions and experiences of my life.  It was wonderful to be around other teens like me who "got it" and went through some of the same expereinces that I had gone through with cancer!  They even have a program for siblings- a camp where the brothers and sisters of cancer survivors can go.

This camp provides support and hope for kids who may be going through the toughest times in their lives.  Most of the cancer support is informal. The camp was designed for recreation where you participated in all regular camp activities like arts and crafts, horse back riding, swimming, etc.  But while you are doing all of that fun stuff, there are opportunities to discuss your experiences and things your other peers cannot relate to. I have continued to be apart of this organization over the years as a volunteer because I believe in it so much.  I am not the only one, because about half of their volunteer counselors and staff have been campers themselves.

There are many organizations like this, but this is the one that was in my area: http://www.childrenscancerconnection.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment