Saturday, August 24, 2013

In Between

After I got through treatment, I attempted to go back to life as normal.  I continued to go to school, spent time with my friends, transitioned into high school life.  I had struggled in a few certain classes, and was working to get caught up in math, spanish, and science.  I started working part-time at a nursing home in their dietary department with some high school friends to earn some extra cash.  I enjoyed working with the elderly folks and chuckeled to myself when they called cancer "The Big C".  I had to go back to the hospital for routine check-ups that started to get further and further apart.  But the summer of 1995 I had noticed the left side of my neck was swollen, which prompted some doctor visits.  I also had a mole on my ear removed from dermatology.  Waiting to hear back any tests results, one day I was home alone when there was a phone call from the dermatology department.  The doctor told me the mole was fine, but then continues to explaine that my cancer had returned.  15 years old and home alone.  No support, no Mom to get a hug from.

No comments:

Post a Comment